One of my favourite 4 ingredient recipes is a pumpkin, sour cream and sweet chilli sauce tart. It’s an easy recipe and always tastes delicious when I make it. So I thought I’d get a bit tricky in the kitchen and use the same ingredients to create pinwheels. Only this time, I added three cheeses to ensure the pinwheels would stick together. These Pumpkin and Feta Pinwheels with Sweet Chilli Sauce and Sour Cream are just as delicious as I imagined. I’m not sure why I didn’t think about creating them before. The pinwheels are so much easier to eat than the tart. Plus they include cheese!
These pinwheels are delicious straight from the oven or cooled and placed in a lunchbox with a side salad. I made a double batch in one go because my girls enjoyed these so much. They lasted a few days for lunches as well.
I included tasty cheese and parmesan to ensure the wheels would cook together when placed in the oven.
The combination of sweet chilli sauce and sour cream is a delicious base spread for the pumpkin and feta. As you know, I love a sweet and savoury combo when it comes to my food.
I’m not the best food photographer, but I can guarantee they taste better than they look.
These pinwheels can make a great party food and are a cheap food idea if you are hosting a crowd – like a footy night or celebrating someone’s birthday. All you need is some puff pastry and the ingredients needed for the filling.
You can add more or less sweet chilli sauce to your liking. For kids, you may choose to have less. I like to have more sauce for flavour.
Pinwheels are definitely a great option for lunches as they can be grabbed from the fridge for the lunchbox. If you wish to re-heat, I microwaved mine for 20 seconds or you can place back in an oven for 10 minutes at 160 degrees with a sheet of alfoil to stop the tops from burning.
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 sheets of puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/3 cup of sweet chilli sauce (more if you want more flavor)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup tasty chest
- 100gm baked pumpkin, cubed
- 100gm Danish feta cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan forced) and line two trays with liners
- Place the two pastry sheets on stove top to thaw
- Once thawed, place the two pastry sheets on the bench and brush the top and bottom edges with the beaten egg.
- Spread the sour cream over each pastry sheet, making sure there is a 1cm border at the edges.
- Pour the sweet chilli sauce over the sour cream and use a spoon to spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin and feta cheese.
- Sprinkle the parmesan and tasty cheese over top.
- Roll each slice of pastry from the bottom to the top edge to enclose the filling.
- Wrap each roll in cling wrap and place in the fridge to set for 15 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the fridge and cut each roll into 8 pieces.
- Place the pinwheels on the prepared baking trays and brush some of the leftover beaten egg over each pinwheel.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until they have puffed up and golden.
If you enjoyed this recipe, why not check out my Pumpkin and Feta Muffins.