February is my blogaversary month which means I have been blogging for TWO years. I’m only a little blog and my readership has slowly increased, but sometimes it just stagnates which means I haven’t lost any readers, but I haven’t really gained a lot either.
I used to worry about the figures, but I’ve been little for so long, that I actually don’t let it bother me. Every week I have one person either email me, call me or speak to me directly about how my blog has encouraged them or made an impact on their life that week. And that makes writing a blog worth it. That and the fact I actually enjoy writing and love the ability to share about my life and be a positive witness in the blogosphere.
The thing is, there is so much work involved in maintaining a blog. Whether its coming up with a new topic for a blog post or maintaining social media platforms and commenting on other blogs, the blogging business isn’t a fly by your seats kind of role if you want to make money. There are days where I actually feel stagnant and unable to do anything because I get so overwhelmed by what needs to be done and the amount of effort that is needed to ensure quality posts or pictures are produced.
I don’t want to waste anyone’s time and there are so many blogs and business’s with an online presence that are eager to get your attention. But for me, I have settled with just writing from my heart and some people will relate and others won’t. I’m not out to win every reader on the net. I view my time and my gifts with an eternal view in mind.
I will continue to share about my faith. I won’t hide it. I won’t conceal it. But I haven’t posted an Inspiration from the Carpenter post in months and there have been a few good reasons on why that is which I will share soon. They won’t disappear. They are one of my favourite posts to write.
If I review my year of blogging from February 2013 to February 2014, I can honestly say I have grown as a blogger and have had some amazing opportunities come my way. Here is my year in review:
- I joined Digital Parents – a blogging community for parents and I learned about Flog Your Blog Friday which is hosted by With Some Grace. I link up my Friday blog post so that other bloggers can read my post. It’s a great way to find new blogs on the blogosphere or spread some comment love on little blogs that don’t get a lot of high traffic (like my little blog!)
- I link up each Tuesday with Essentially Jess for the same reason as the first point.
- I went to my first Problogger Conference in September last year and learned a lot, networked with other bloggers and met in person bloggers that I stalk every day on the net like Nikki from Styling You, Corrie from Retro Mummy and Caz from Ytravel blog and Mojito Mother. I also met bloggers that I now make a daily or weekly visit to like Emily from Have a Laugh on Me, Janet from Middle Aged Mama, Rachel from Redcliffe Style, Lisa from Mrs BC House of Chaos, Eleise from A Very Blended Family, Penny from Wildlife fun 4 Kids, Jo from Down to Earth Mother, Natalie from Defined Image & Make it look Easy, Natalie from Mummy Smiles, Jodie from Fresh Home Cook (she was like my blogging buddy at the conference!), Alison from Talking Frankly and Carly Findlay. I’m sorry if I met you and I missed your blog. 🙂
- Got my first sponsored post for Stihl power tools and had various other sponsored post opportunities throughout the year.
- Won a Bonds Blogging Opportunity for the Bumps and Baby blog which has also led to two extra blogging opportunities on the Bonds site this year
- All of my social media platform numbers have more than doubled since last year.
This year, with another baby being added to our family, I’m again going to be limited with my time in focusing on building my blog. I am just going to focus on doing the basics well.
Will I be at Problogger Conference this year? I am hoping to. I will have a 7 week old baby, but I have organized to have Esther and Magdalene babysat while Jacob and I will come down to the conference. I will get Jacob to look after the baby in the hotel room and I will leave the conference when needed to feed. Hopefully my baby will be a good sleeper and a predictable feeder. I’m buying my ticket and will be booking our accommodation in faith that this will happen!
To celebrate my two years on the blogosphere I am running a giveaway. I have one $100 Wish Gift Card to giveaway to one of you, my loyal readers. This post is more of a behind the scenes post for my readers and other bloggers who might be struggling with the same things I have. I’d love to hear what you like about The Plumbette. This is no pride building exercise. I love honest critiques about my writing and what I share and how I can be better. Enter via the Rafflecopter below and leave a comment in the comments section or if you don’t like Disqus, send your answer to my email.
Terms and Conditions
These terms shall apply to all giveaways and competitions run on this site, www.theplumbette.com.au
1. This is a game of skill. Each valid entry to be judged on creativity and originality, not by chance.
2. There is one prize: One $100 Wish Gift card.
3. Entries open from Friday 28th February 4pm Brisbane Time to Wednesday 12th March 12pm Brisbane Time.
4. Prize is not transferable or changeable
5. Prize sent out by The Plumbette will not be replaced in the event it is stolen, lost or damaged in transit.
6. Entry is via Rafflecopter.
7. A valid email address must be included in your entry.
8. Entry into any giveaway or competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
9. Entrants must be Australian residents and aged 18 or over
10. The winner will be notified by email and has 5 days to reply and claim the prize. The winner will also be announced on Facebook. This giveaway is not endorsed by Facebook.
11. The decision on the winner is final and no dialogue will be entered into otherwise.
12. These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime without notice