It was the early 1990’s and I was over at my Grandma Jones’s house in this exact room.
The blue and green carpeted, purple walled, green ceiling lounge room.
Grandma and I were talking about the year 2000. She had worked out that she would be 70 years old and I would turn sweet 16 and never been kissed. (Sorry Grandma, I got kissed. But I think we had a few conversations about the happenings in youth group where you put two and two together, literally!)
I remember thinking how could I possibly turn 16? What would I look like? How tall would I be? Would I have boobs?
And then the year 2000 rolled over and I admit I was fearful about life in the next century. I felt like I had to make all the big decisions with the pressure of performing well at school and getting good grades to go to University which I turned down in order to go to a business school and get a head start at getting a good job. The good job would bring in good cash so I could save and buy a house.
I tended to be the kid that had the 5 year and 10 year plans figured out. I had hoped my plans could control the future.
What a crushing lesson to learn in the big wide world beyond school.
Today I turn 32! The year 2000 was 16 years ago and here I am another 16 years later contemplating how the heck I actually got here, but ever thankful that I have, and very expectant of another 16 years plus more.
I love even numbers. Not sure why, but I’m happy to have turned an even number this year.
I usually like to write a retrospective post about things I’ve learned and I was thinking about sharing 32 things I’d like to do.
But then on the eve of my Birthday, while I was sitting in church, I thought it would be cool to share 32 things you need to know. Pieces of advice given to me from those that believe in me or I respect in many ways. They’re quotes, sayings and verses that are to encourage you as you live life.
Life can throw many challenges our way and for me, prayer and meditating on biblical truths and wisdom of amazing leaders have helped me to persevere and troupe on with a cheerful heart.
It’s not easy to do. But choosing a cheerful stance helps me to get through challenging times. It’s not always my default stance, but I become it when I pray and focus more on what God wants to achieve through me rather than what I want to achieve for Him.
So here are my 32 things you need to know. Some snippets of wisdom from people I admire.
I hope they encourage you today.
1. If you honour God, God will always honour you. Colin Jones (Bec’s Dad)
2. I couldn’t do what you do. But you were born to do this. The best is yet to come. Janice Jones (Bec’s Mum)
3. This book (The Bible) will keep you from sin, or you will find, sin will keep you from reading this book. 9th July 1995 Gordon and Betty Jones (Bec’s Grandparents) (And they were right. Oh so right!)
4. Being somebody who brings out the best in everybody makes the world a happier place. The Plumbette
5. Joy is a decision, not a feeling. Colour Conference 2016
6. Never give up. A river cuts through a rock, not because of its power, but its persistence.
7. God is closer than we know. Bobbie Houston.
8. Trust yourself. You know more than you think.
9. Don’t Fit in. You were born to stand out. Dr Seuss
10. Your greatness is revealed not by the lights that shine upon you, but by the light that shines within you.
11. The only time you should ever look back is to see how far you’ve come.
12. You are strong, You are talented, You are beautiful, You are Wise, You are Courageous, You have seeds of greatness, You are destined to do great things. Joel Oesteen
13. Your purpose will always be greater than your position. Carl Lentz
14. God will, can and does use anybody. Christine Caine
15. Favour is for purpose, not for status. Christine Caine
16. God has plans to prosper you. ‘For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
17. The road to success is always under construction.
18. Don’t imprison yourself into your comfort zone. Holly Wagner
19. Action makes more fortunes than caution.
20. In life you need to fly with eagles, not turkeys. Mummy Wife Me’s Dad. (Best quote EVER!)
21. Be yourself, because an original is worth more than a copy.
22. Furniture makes a house, but family makes a home. The Plumbette
23. Life is all about taking risks. If you never take risks, then you’ll never know what you’re capable of.
24. You can be gorgeous at thirty, charming at forty and irresistible for the rest of your life. Coco Chanel
25. Just because you had a bad day, doesn’t mean you have a bad life.
26. Forget the mistake, remember the lesson. Lisa Messenger
27. Create the highest, grandest vision possibly for your life, because you become what you believe. Oprah Winfrey
28. The ship that you’re waiting for to come in, may very well be the ship that you need to build. Eddie Harris Jr
29. To fall in love with God is the greatest of all romances; to seek Him, the greatest adventure; to find him, the greatest human achievement. Augustine of Hippo
30. Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. Proverbs 16:3
31. I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn’t have the heart to let him down. Abraham Lincolne
32. The secret to having it all is realizing, you already do.
Thank you in advance for all your Birthday wishes. It’s taken me a few hours to write this post and it’s now 5am and I’m heading back to bed for my sleep in.
Why not head to Sammi from The Annoyed Thyroid and wish her a Happy Birthday too? We both share the same birth date!
Which 32 things you should know stood out to you? What did you need to read today? Thank you for being an incredible community on The Plumbette. Your comments and messages and prayers spur me on. It’s a privilege for me to sow words (and truth) into your life. x