The cogs are starting to wheel in motion for the year now that school holidays have finished. Busyness seems to set in and those New Years resolutions and intentions can sometimes be pushed to the side.
When you have so many roles to juggle, it’s hard to focus on what really matters in life. I’ve asked Nicole from the blog The Builder’s Wife to share her tips on finding balance when life is busy. She is the perfect example of a busy mum. She owns and runs a business with her husband, is a mum to five children and blogs and styles her gorgeous Queenslander home in her spare time. I know how taxing it is to run a business in the trades, so how does she fit everything in? Here are her tips.
My Tips for finding Balance
1. Start the day on a positive. No matter how chaotic or difficult the day before, there is always something to be grateful for. I begin each day with some time to reflect in gratitude. I do this in a few different ways, by writing in my gratitude journal, sitting with my Husband and enjoying a coffee and a chat, or I visualise my day with a positive outcome.
2. Planning and Preparation. I have several diaries to keep me organised. I have a family/daily diary, a work diary and blogging diary. With so much going on at any one time, it’s would be easy to forget things, being a business owner means, it’s really important that I don’t. My Husband and I also make time to sit with our diaries and plan together; this keeps both our business and family lives in sync. I plan everything as far in advance as I possibly can, right down to our breakfast, lunch and dinner for each day. Essentially, if it’s not in the diary, it’s not going to get done.
3. Exercise. I make time for myself to exercise, 5 days a week. It’s my reward for working so hard, my time out, a chance to catch up with friends and my stress relief.
4. Date Night! Hubby and I celebrate our love and relationship by having ‘dates’ as often as our schedule allows, at least once a week. With so many children, it is rare that we have babysitters, so our dates are usually taken at home. We grab a bottle of wine, a plate of nibbles, set the kids up with a movie and then just sit on the deck and talk uninterrupted for an hour or so. It really helps to keep us connected and in touch.
5. Individual Time With Each Child. This can be as simple as taking an extra 10 minutes when putting them to bed or as elaborate as a trip to the movies, either way that little bit of time, especially in a blended or step family, makes a huge difference to the harmony of our home.
There you have it, my top 5 tips to finding balance in my life, however what works for me, may not work for you. I found my balance through trial and error.
How do you find balance in your life? Do you have any tips you’d like to share?
I’m linking up with Essentially Jess for IBOT.