If you’ve wanted to know how to clean a smelly sink drain naturally, this post is for you.
The sink trap connected to the grated waste, can accumulate with sludge caused from congealed food particles and liquids. Rinsing plates, washing up and having food particles float in the sink and down the drain, are the main causes of the smell emitted from the sink.
Sinks with a garbage disposal can emit the worst smells. Despite the sink trap sealing off the main sewer gases, if food or sludge settles at the bottom of the trap, the sink will emit a smell every time you turn your tap on.
I noticed our sink drain had started to smell and it’s not something I can put up with for long. Thankfully I had all the natural ingredients at home to give the sink drain a natural clean, which would also remove the smell.
How to clean a smelly sink drain naturally
1/4 cup of bi carb soda
1 cup of white vinegar
1-4 drops of Lime and Lemon Essential Oil
- Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into a Pyrex jug and place this in the microwave for 2 minutes (or until it’s boiling)
2. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of bi carb soda down the drain.
3. Add 1-4 drops of your favourite essential oil. I used doTERRA Lime and Lemon.
4. Pour the vinegar down the drain. It will bubble and froth. Leave in the sink for 10-15 minutes.
5. Fill your sink with water (using the plug), and release when half full for a flush out off the trap.
Hints & Tricks
I did this a couple of weeks ago and the sink drain smell hasn’t come back.
Do the full amount for each drain, so if you have a double bowl sink, do the same process twice (don’t halve the recipe).
After you’ve microwaved the vinegar, you will be able to use a cloth to clean out your microwave. The vinegar and steam seem to assist getting food particles and odours out of your microwave too.
This process can also clean the grate and plugs if they are looking dull.
Have you ever had to clean a smelly sink drain? What has worked for you?