Congratulations Jennifer Houston – You won the $50 voucher 🙂
It’s this time of year that we see our worst fatalities in car accidents. Christmas, Boxing Day, Easter and long weekends are notorious for a spike in deaths from car accidents and most of the time, the accidents could have been avoided.
Thankfully, I read in the Sunday Mail yesterday that there was a decrease in car fatalaties by 40% in Queensland these Christmas holidays compared to last year.
Driving safely on the roads is paramount any time of the year, but it’s when our brains are busy thinking about what needs to be done that our minds can subconsciously slip into thought mode rather than concentrating on the driving task at hand. And traffic will increase on our roads today as many venture back to work so concentrating on the road is really important.
The first thing that needs to be done to ensure safe driving practices is to check that your car is safe to be on the road. Regular maintenance is a must on any vehicle. Here are some tips from Castrol Magnatec to keep your car running smoothly and some checks that you can do to ensure your vehicle isn’t an accident waiting to happen.
- Check your tyres are properly inflated. Tyres that are too inflated run the risk of bursting and your car will use more fuel and it will be harder to steer. Check the manufacturer’s instructions on the correct pressure for your tyres. Every tyre size and type is different and will require a different pressure, so don’t go by what you’ve always filled them up to on previous cars.
- Check that there is sufficient tread on the tyres and that the spare tyre is useable.
- Check water, oil and fluid levels at home in your car. If you have no idea how to check these items, ask your mechanic or someone you trust who knows what to check and look for. There are good tutorials on the internet on how to do this, but the mechanic that services your car will know where everything is under the hood so you know what to check.
- If there is an issue with your car like a strange noise or a rattle or anything that doesn’t sound or feel right, get your mechanic to look at your car as soon as possible. Small issues usually turn into major issues and can be avoided by being intuitive about your car.
- Make sure your car is up-to-date with its service schedule. If your car’s service is due before or when you are going to be on your road trip, book the service before you go.
Our car is still going strong using the Castrol Magnatec oil sent from Soup. We’ve topped up our oil and made the necessary checks as per the list above.
Soup and Castrol Magnatec have generously organised a give-away for one of my readers. The winner has a choice of either a $50 Wish (Woolworths) gift card OR a $50 Coles/Myer gift card.
All you need to do to enter is either comment below, comment on the Facebook post link if you don’t like to comment via disqus or email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org, What is your safety tip when driving on the roads any time of the year?
The give-away ends Monday 20th January 2013 at 12pm Brisbane time.
This post is not sponsored, however I have been given free product and information on car care and will be given a $150 voucher for my opinions. All opinions are my own. This post has been written in conjunction with my disclosure policy.
Terms and Conditions
These terms shall apply to all giveaways and competitions run on this site, www.theplumbette.com.au
1. This is a game of skill. Each valid entry to be judged on creativity and originality, not by chance.
2. There is one prize: A choice of a Wish or Coles/Myer Gift card to the value of $50.00AUD.
3. Entries open from Monday 6th January 2014 6am Brisbane Time to Monday 20th January 2013 12pm Brisbane Time.
4. Prize is not transferable or changeable
5. Prize sent out by Soup will not be replaced in the event it is stolen, lost or damaged in transit.
6. Additional entries if you share on Facebook or Twitter, but you must comment a second or third valid entry. Also please leave how you shared in the email.
7. A valid email address must be included in your entry.
8. Entry into any giveaway or competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
9. Entrants must be Australian residents and aged 18 or over
10. The winner will be notified by email and has 5 days to reply and claim the prize. The winner will also be announced on Facebook. This giveaway is not endorsed by Facebook.
11. The decision on the winner is final and no dialogue will be entered into otherwise.
12. These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime without notice